Monday, October 19, 2009

Official Rejection Letter from Susquehanna

Below is the standardized rejection/we'll keep your resume in our shit can for future rejections letter. The only surprise was that I actually heard anything at all. It's been about five weeks I think since I applied. I inquired to the person listed on the HR email and the person who hand delivered my resume for some useful feedback like why in particular I'm not a match. This wasn't a case where I was just applying for something that didn't exist. I applied to an open listing and I felt I exceeded the listed criteria. So we'll see if I get any useful information but I doubt it. Just thought I would share. This is the kind of treatment I expected so that's why I was interested in taking an unpaid internship somewhere just to get in the door and meet some people.




Dear Jason:

Thank you for your interest in SIG. We have received your resume through our employee referral program. We place a strong emphasis on the recommendations of our employees; however, at this time we do not have any openings for which your background is a match.

We will keep your information on file in our Recruiting Database for a period of time. Should additional opportunities arise for which we feel your skills and qualifications match, we will contact you.

Again, we would like to thank you for your consideration of SIG. We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Sincerely,
SIG Recruiting Department

3 comments:

  1. Here's a good dose of inspiration (I especially like the one from Mr. Rolling Stone):

    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill

    "I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed" - Michael Jordan

    "What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" - Bob Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the BS response to my inquiry on what I would need to be a more appealing candidate. Obviously legal issues prevent them from being honest.


    Jason,

    Thank you for your interest in SIG and your follow up email. It is SIG policy not to provide any evaluative feedback to our candidates. However, please keep in mind that we receive a very large volume of resumes, and the decision not to continue the process with any candidate is based on the competitiveness of the position.



    Best Regards,

    Lauren Laver

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you prepared for the gauntlet of rejection & hitting the pavement post graduation? Are you ready to do the Will Smith gut swallowing pride bang you head against the pavement until someone let's you in attack like in "The Pursuit of Happiness"? Unfortunately building your resume with education and certifications probably won't exactly make up for experience and determination in this job market. Try not to dwell on this closed door... it's only a preview of what you're facing. This is a new economical era we're entering with less opportunities and a decreasing standard of living... Fortune still favors the brave and bold not the intellectual. Here's another quote:

    "A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him" - David Brinkley

    ReplyDelete