Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Why Premium Sellers Typically Short Delta

Yesterday I tuned into "Where do I start" @ TastyTrade.com. And during this 15 min segment Tom explained to Case why premium sellers like himself are typically delta short. In a nutshell it has to do with the fact that as a premium seller you are short volatility which rises in in a down market, so being short delta helps offset that a bit when markets move lower.

Put another way, first you have to realize that volatility and market direction typically have an inverse relationship. When the market goes up volatility typically falls and when the market goes down volatility typically rises. As a premium seller you are selling or shorting volatility, so in a vaccuum your short vol position (short option) will make money as the market rises and lose money as the market drops. However we do not live in a vacuum and there are other factors that move your position's P&L.

Delta is the equivalent position in the underlying and gives you an estimate of how much your P&L will move up or down for each $1 move in the underlying. This is why you can be short premium and when the market goes down, assuming you are also short delta, your P&L is not down nearly as much as your short vol or vega may suggest.

If you are interested in learning more check out the where do I start video on the TastyTrade.com website. It was uploaded on 7/2/13.

Good Luck Trading!

In The Money Trades




And 1 favor that we ask: 

If you like the hard work we put into our blog posts and videos, PLEASE help us out by sharing them. Click the share links below and share them on FB, twitter, etc. It really helps us get more exposure and grow IN THE MONEY TRADES!

2 comments:

  1. With the high volatility that we have seen come back into the market since October of last year, it seems like a lot more opportunity has opened up.

    Oil seems to be the best opportunity to be selling long premium in right now.

    I am long oil and short SPY.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Everyone,I'm Adrik Vadim living in Kurgan City , I want to share with you all on here on how Mr Benjamin help me with a loan of 15,000.000.00 Rubles to start up my food beverage delivery after all I have work in several hotels here in kurgan just to earn a living but unfortunate I was still having difficulties to pay a rent but I thank God now that I'm a self employ now with 5 workers working in my care. Just if you looking for financial freedom I will advise you contact Mr Benjamin with this email below and whats app number as well. 247officedept@gmail.com   +1-989-394-3740

    ReplyDelete