Monday, April 22, 2013

Trading Options on /ES for the first time

So Jason and I have talked about trading /ES for so long...and one of the big benefits that I have thought ever since he started trading /ES is the extra trading time that comes with trading futures contracts. For those of you that don't know, the futures markets only shut down for 45 min/day during the week and is closed on Friday through Sunday evening before it opens back up. There are a few times when I see markets trade on a Sunday afternoon that I would like to put some kind of position on going into the open on Monday. Well I finally executed a trade in options on /ES.

It feels like the steam has been lost to the upside in the /ES for sometime and I have a short to neutral bias. So with the /ES up 8-9 points last night (at high) I decided to sell a call for almost 32 points (was ATM option). I am looking to make about 4-5 points on this option. But I sold it with the mindset that I would be okay being short at my breakeven price which puts us at the highs for the markets around 1590. Otherwise I am happy to make the 4-5 points. So I really look at this as two possible positions:

1) A scalp for a nice overnight trade or a swing trade.
2) A nice short entry at all time highs...would rather be a seller than a buyer at these levels.

I do have to admit however that I was apprehensive to execute my trade last night, not because I was not comfortable with my trade idea, but because it was the first time I have traded this product. With that said I did not sell the top, we were up only about 6 points when I executed my trade.

I have a limit order in to make about 4 points on this short call in TOS and will let that work this morning. A few more points lower on the /ES and it will get filled. It feels likely that it will get filled this morning based on how its trading (down 3 points as I write).

The only caveat that I would give to traders venturing into a new product is to make sure you understand the product and what price movement means to your P&L. I had to refresh my memory that each point in the /ES is +/-$50.

Good Luck Trading!

In The Money Trades




And 1 favor that we ask: 

If you like the hard work we put into our blog posts and videos, PLEASE help us out by sharing them. Click the share links below and share them on FB, twitter, etc. It really helps us get more exposure and grow IN THE MONEY TRADES!

No comments:

Post a Comment