Monday, February 15, 2010

Stocks on my Radar

Its a holiday today, so I am taking advantage of a little extra time to analyze some stocks that are on my watch list. Here are the stocks on my list: STEC, DFS, AZN, RIG, DF, GME, GS, LLY, NLY, PDLI, UUP, SPX (index). Below are a few trade ideas I have for some of the names on my watchlist.

STEC is a name that I am pulling back out of past names that I have made money in before. Last time I played this I entered somewhere around $11-$12.50 and exited in the $15-$17 range. It continued its up movement to around $20 before pulling back. As you can see on the chart below I have level of support drawn on the chart around $14. STEC closed on Friday at $15.02. So we are about $5 off of the recent highs. I think $15 offers a good risk/reward entry with a stop below $14. I am looking for a retest of the high of $20.45 set on 1-13-2010.


Risk/Reward = 1:5

Entry = Around $15

Stop = Below $14

Bias = Bullish

Next Catalyst = Earnings 2-23-10


How to play it with options: I looked at three different plays with Mar '10 expiration: Long $15 Calls, Unbalanced strangle (long $15 calls, long $16 puts), and Long $15/$20 call spread. See Risk Profiles Below (Also note that I adjusted volatility downward by 15% as IV is traded at a premium to HV):

Unbalanced strangle:




Long Calls:












Call spread:












So I will be looking to buy the 2/1 unbalanced strangle 3 times for a total of 6 $15 calls and 3 $16 puts. Based on the closing prices of Friday this will cost $4.80 per spread for a total debit of $1,440.

SPX
 I actually have a trade idea inspired by the guys over at Onn.TV. I am looking to sell the Feb '10 1100/1110 call spread. SPX closed at 1075.51 on Friday. Based on closing prices from Friday I can collect about $1.60 for this trade. I chose 1100 as in the short term I think that this will act as resistance going into expiration on Friday. But I may adjust the trade by using the SPY to adjust my risk. This would mean selling the 110/111 call spread on the SPY, which on Friday would fetch $0.21.


These are the only trade ideas that I have right now for the names on my list. I am going to try and spend a little more time finding potential trade ideas for OPEX. But we will see.

1 comment:

  1. So Yesterday STEC opened up below my stop so I did not enter into any position. It was on the back of a downgrade from lack of clarity into earnings.

    Futures indicate that SPX will trade above 1100 at the open. So that trade idea kind of goes out the window for now.

    ReplyDelete