Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Historical Trading Results

I've finally finished documenting my historical trading results going back to my first trade in the summer of 2008. It was an interesting experience because my personality is such that I focus on losses much to strongly and tend to downplay my successes. So being able to quantify and visually see my total history has been a good exercise. I need to look at the overall results once in a while, specifically when I've had a recent loss as I tend to get conservative and even at times stop trading all together for a while.

My style of investing has changed over this brief 28 month period so its hard to draw any solid conclusions on my performance other than to say I believe I will continue to trade profitably. I've learned a lot about risk mgmt and position sizing so hopefully future losses will be mitigated to an extent that some of these past trades were not. I would like to get more quantitative in the future as far as total portfolio return rather than just monthly dollar returns. I have a few problems in this area though as I haven't decided exactly how much I would like to designate as available trading capital, and I continually pull money out to live off of so the calculation of compounded returns is difficult if not impossible without some sort of software package to aid me. If you're aware of any please let me know.



1 comment:

  1. Those are some great numbers. I know there is some software out there that can help you with this. This would be a good thing to submit to TOS as a reccomended feature to add to the platform.

    ReplyDelete