Sunday, December 13, 2009

Some notes on STEC...

On 11-5-2009 I initated 5 short puts on STEC at the $12.50 strike price with Jan '11 expiry. I like the prospects of this company and think that it was unfairly sold off after reaching a 52 week high of $42.50 a share on 9-29-2009. The big sell off was caused when EMC one of the comany's largest customers reported that it had ordered to much product which gave question to the earnings exspectations of STEC; and also when litigation against STEC by sharelholders from a secondary offering said that top execs may have gave false and misleading statments that caused an artificially high price. Basically a lot of investors who bought in to the 9 million secondary offering near the highs lost a lot of money and they are pist off.

Why I like this position:

1 - it is currently trading at a p/e of 12 which is very low for a tech company. Tech companies usually trade at p/e's of 20-30 or higher beause of the growth potential.
2 - With current earnings estimates at $1.90 a share for 2010, this puts a foward p/e of just 6 on STEC. Even at the low end of P/E's for tech stocks at a multiple of 20, puts the a value of at least $38 ($1.9 x 20) on STEC stock.
3 - There is high institutional ownership at 37%. This puts the motives of the execs inline with thoses of shareholders, as they have a lot to gain or loose depending on the performance of the company.
4 - It has zero debt!
5 - I think that the recent sell off presents a great opportunity to enter a position in the stock.

What do the probablities look like?

[Snapshot+Analysis.jpg]

In the future I may comment on the interpretation of the risk/reward calcutions. I don't really agree 100% with what is being calculated in the above analysis. But "theoretically" it is all correct. Be we all know how the theorectically can play out in reality!

What do I see on the Charts:

I don't really see anything technical that has made for a strong argument in my favor for this position. Rather I see value in the recent sell off. I think the charts are presenting an opportunity to enter what will be a very lucrative position.



UPDATE: Below are the results of tweeks to variables in the option pricing model that I mentioned in the comment.




Updated Chart




Update: 12/28/09

Pay particular attention to the volume behind the upmove. It traded half of its average daily volume in about 30 minutes. Look for shorts to get trapped and forced to cover on the way up. We are still targeting a move up to about $20. Would be normal to see a pullback or a few consolidation days before it continues the move higher.

I was also looking at implied volatility and the greeks. Today IV has shot up about 10% which has caused my position to lose premium at a slower rate. But I am paying particular attention to the greek vega as this measures how much the contract will move with a point change in IV. Currently it is .05 meaning that every contract that I have will lose $5 of premium value for every 1 point drop in IV. On 5 contracts that gives the total position a Vega of $25 meaning that every point to the downside on IV makes the premium $25 less. This would put me in the money an additional $250 on top of the $600 I am already up on the position. I anticipate that volatility will come in when the stock is ready to rest. It is interesting nonetheless to see volatility rise as price goes up as usually there is an inverse relationship.

11 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention where the stock was trading when I initiated the position. STEC was trading at around $13. Currently it is trading about $1.50 lower at $11.5. Down here at these levels I may look to add a couple of contracts and will add even more below 10. Maximum position will be 10-15 contracts, depending on the rest of the market.

    Look for similar posts on all my other positions as well as new positions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning I did end up adding 2 put contracts at the $10 strike with Jan '11 expiry with Jan '11 expiry.

    I have 7 short put contract total in STEC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. STEC has broke out of the first level of resistance at $14 that has been holding the stock back for a few weeks. It is currently trading above $15 as I write this blog. If it can take out $16 in the next few days to weeks, I think that $20 is an achieable target.

    I have played around with the options pricing model and with a rise in price to $20 that would allow me to collect about 67% of my maximum profit on the 12.50 puts and about 71% on the $10 puts. I also forecast lower volitility as their is an inverse relationship between price and volatility.

    So between my 5 12.5 puts and my 10 puts I am targeting about a $1,500 gain of a total $2300 possible.

    We will have to wait and see how this plays out. I would like to see it close above $14 today and would even more excited if it closed above $15.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted the results of the tweeks that I made to the option pricing model for the numbers I calculated above. Also wanted to mention that as of yesterday the stock had a 34% short interest which could lead to a very strong rally if it can get above $16.

    ReplyDelete
  5. STEC is trading above previous the previous days highs. Yesterday it broke the $14 resistane level and based nicely the rest of the day arund $14.50 to consolidate and in my opinion get ready for the next move to test $16. If it can get through this level it could really ignite some huge buying pressure with the 34% short interest in the stock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if I should had bought calls with some of the premium that I collected?

    ReplyDelete
  7. STEC has finally caught a bid. The move this morning was on really nice volume. It traded half of its daily volume in a up move above $17. We are still a couple of points off target, but nonetheless it is climbing just as quickly as we had anticipated.

    There are a lot of shrots that are beginning to get trapped and force to cover into this upmove. I will be watching it very closely to time my exit and book profis.

    Also take a look at the new chart I posted as an update to this post. That way you can see the upmove and the volume behind that upmove.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I didn't have the holding power to realize my $1,500 target. I watched STEC trade this morning above yesterdays high and just felt like it was tired. And being a momentum stock like it is it could just as easily trade back down from where it came from. I also got little uneasy as I read a few articles that poo pooed STEC going into next year. I know they were most likely written by people who are short the name but for now I felt more comfortable booking profits. Plus I have a goal to reach for the month.

    I closed the $12.5 puts out for $2.46 booking $563 and the $10 puts for $1.45 for a gain of $178. Total Gain is $741.50 of a total $2300 or about 32% of maximum profit.

    This does not mean however that I am done with this name. I am just done with it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great call Dom! You really captured that move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a follow up. STEC has made its way to my measured target. But as you know I exited this position last week. I have a tendency to always exit early.

    I think what I am going to start doing is maybe take off half or 2/3 of the position when I get the itch to close it out. And then let the rest run and set a stop at break even for the remaining position. I really think I could probably increase my profits by at least 33%.

    What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's exactly what I do... Scale into & out of trades.

    ReplyDelete