Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A little Chicago news

Hey guys, I was put in touch with someone from Susquehanna after I left Chicago. He gave me some ideas on things I should put in my cover letter to attract their attention. He said he turned my resume in and said I would hear something in the next few weeks if they were interested. Truth be told, I think he just electronically entered the application just as I could over their website. It doesn't sound like he talked with anybody in person or that I have any inside shot. Submitting over websites doesn't work, that's why I wanted to go there and meet people. I think that if I'm interested I've probably just got to pick up and go for 6 months and see what happens. There is one place I found that does 6-month leases but as you would expect, they are more expensive than 12-month. However, I could use this logic. If I found a job it was worth it and you can afford to sign a cheaper 12-month or even buy a condo. If I didn't find a job I saved a lot of money by not signing a 12-month and I'm free to head on to my next destination.

8 comments:

  1. If everyone goes according to plan I may be joining you if you stay out there longer than 1 year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit if things don't work out I would probably be leaving Chicago after a year, or maybe staying but doing something not investment related. But at the moment I have no idea what my next move would be. Absolutely everything in my life is open right now come Dec. 17 when I finish school. I'm trying to figure out exactly what to do, but can't control the employment situation. I'm hoping to know more in the next few months. If I have just as much trouble trying to get like I did after my undergrad, then I'll be heavily leaning towards wanting to do a SMB training type thing. We'll see how things unfold here pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if I can get a miracle and XLE rallies to $65 by January then I will have just bought myself another year without having to stress or take some job that makes no sense just to pay the bills. So pray with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jason,

    Also wanted to let you know what also may be an option that you may want to consider. I am working with Mike Kestler at Ocean view capital in La Jolla and trying to get a training program in place there as well. We are first looking to team up with SMB.

    Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would but I think people are at their best when they are at their worst. More cushion could just buy you more time premium and inertia. I'd rather have a fire lit under my a$$ so I sh$% & get off the pot already...

    Also if Dom continues exposing and explaining the SMB material he learned there may not be a need to actually go... He's already helped out tremendously with our skype calls and dropbox shared material.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm probably getting over the first major learning curve hump at the base of Mt. Everett excep this Mt. Everett takes about a decade just to reach the first peak unless a godsend pops up like a helicopter or a lama taxi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, if you're going to trade for yourself there isn't a reason to move anywhere, unless it's just to a place you would like to live. For me the only reason I would go to Chicago is to find an options related job that I thnk would make me happy. If I could find that in LA I would gladly stay.

    ReplyDelete