Monday, August 17, 2009

Did I call that or what?

Even with the big drop I was able to get out of the 20 JPM contracts for the same profit as I had calculated over the weekend even though the stock is down $1.30 from those levels. The BxA spreads on the Jan 2011 options stayed steady so I got lucky. MET is another story. The bid on the Jan 2011 $12.50 call I have is less than its intrinsic value. That means I would have to either take a loss on that, try and split the BxA and get paid what I should, or actually exercise those options and then turn around and immediately sell to capture the actual intrinsic value. The BxA spread on the naked $30 call is a $1.00 so I'm not paying the ask. I'm kind of stuck with this one unless I want to take a big haircut. If I paid the bid and ask I would be left with $11.70 for something that is worth $17.50 as long as it's in the money. I can realize this same profit if the stock is at $24.20 on Jan 2011 expiration, it's $34.70 right now. So another lesson learned with the long-term call spreads. So as of now I'm staying long the 15 remaining contracts I have until I can exit at better terms.

1 comment:

  1. Your crystal ball must had been turbo charged...nice call, glad to here that you took some more of those spreads off the table. We will have to see if the market can shake this sharp downmove off from this morning or will it develope into the over due correction that everyone as been twirping about. All we can do is be mentally agile for what ever the market throws our direction.

    ReplyDelete