Thursday, August 6, 2009

Momentum Trading

Not sure if you guys have had your eye on AIG, but it has recently made it way back in play after its huge reverse split. Yesterday it popped $8 and today it popped another $9 intraday only to finish where it closed the previous day. Talk about a great stock to play for momentum.

I actually traded this this morning. I was in and out way to fast as I have never traded a stock that moves so quick. You could blink and it would be up 2-3 dollars or down by the same amount. This thing was crazy but in a opportunistic way.

These movements over the past few days should keep it in play for the next couple of days. I hope to grow some balls and hold it for a longer move. This morning Laz of T3 shorted at the top at $29.30 and caught the entire move down to about $22 for a $40k chop. Which means he had 5k shares of this baby. I can only imagine the day.


By the way Jason, you have got to sign up for the free trial of at t3live.com. You would love the commentary and the morning meetings going over the landscape of the market and the trades that may set up for the day. I reccomend that you listen to Sperling and Redler only at first. Let me know when you check it out.

7 comments:

  1. Didn't participate but caught the entire chatter but watched the move from the sidelines. AIG was a short squeezes dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What time is this morning briefing taking place? I'm assuming 5:30am or 6:00am our time? I wasn't even aware that AIG did a reverse split. I did however see yesterday as I was falling asleep watching a taped version of Fast Money the $8 move. I made a mental note to see how the stock could be in the $20 range, but didn't remember that mental note until just now. Mental note: trying to take mental notes while falling asleep is not efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you suggesting that I get up at 5:30am and snort some crank so I can be coherent at 5:45am? Or is there an archived version I can listen to later? Good god I would have to move to Bermuda in order to trade the markets effectively because of the hours. Hmm, that actually doesn't sound like a shitty idea. Mental Note: after you're a succesful trader, move to Bermuda so you can work normal busines hours and chase teenage girls on the beach after work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK I signed up for the free trial and that morning session is archived so don't expect to find me up at 5:30am. I guess if I'm not available to trade the market all day then I don't see what this does for me. It looks like they are all less than 10 minutes so certainly I can find that time each day to see what happened versus what the morning call was like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would actually suggest Meth, you will be up for days...man can you get so much done...No but really, yes there is an archive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh an they also have a daily recap on the markets as well.

    ReplyDelete