Wednesday, August 5, 2009

WFMI: Called my company's action correctly post-earnings play

Man got this one right on the money. I may look to unload some stock options in the mid-$30's. Got a ton.

This is the email I sent to one of my Supervisors as soon as earnings was announced:

Amazing that the stock is up on the news... countering the “buy on rumor sell on the news” setup. The street seems to like something that was reported. Traders are anticipating the turn in the economy and getting way ahead of future earnings (PE’s are huge). We’ll see what happens to WFMI in the first 15 minutes of trading tomorrow. If we can hold up these levels we’ll probably head straight for $30 until we see resistance.



2 comments:

  1. How exactly to the stock options work at your company? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've worked at Whole Foods for about a decade now and when I first started they use to just dole out stock options like they were candy. On average I think I received a few hundred for the first 5-6 years I worked there. 1 year I received over 700 options. A lot of my friends and associates who had absolutely no financial understanding and worked in the grocery industry their entire lives made a lot of money relatively speaking really fast when the stock was climbing and splitting every 2 years. About 3 years ago the company decided to vest all the shares for tax purposes and overnight people had six figures worth of wealth. The company decided that they weren't going to be allocating nearly as many options moving forward. Coincidentally that was about the time the stock was peaking. Once the economy started falling off a cliff shares dropped until they hit $7 at the bottom of the market. The company also has an internal purchase plan where they used to subsidize (like 10%) if you participated. Not sure if they still offer it... never took advantage of it so wouldn't know.

    About 4 years ago I cashed out about $30k once on fun stupid stuff.Now I have about 12,000 options almost all worthless until the stock climbs into the 30-40 point range.

    ReplyDelete