Monday, January 4, 2010

Dom, for you specifically since you like to use the standard deviation probabilities in your decision process, if you have time I think you should check out the CBOE webinar for What the Bell Curve Doesn't Tell You ~ Russell Rhoads. Mark I don't know if you use that tool as well but you'll remember from our Stats class how this pertains to options trading. The short version is this, in a Monte Carlo simulation of 1,000,000 30-day random stock trades using their implied volatilities, the one sigma deviation was touched or violated 54% of the time during the 30-day window until expiration. The reason this is important is that the long-term bell curve probabilities held true after 1,000,000 simulations. This means that only 32% of the time did the stocks finish outside of one sigma. So the implication here is that if you've got a trade on and your one sigma is violated, don't necessarily freak out and close the trade for a loss because the long-term odds still hold that even though your one sigma was violated you will have the same odds of expiring worthless.

Let's use a fake example. If stock XYZ is trading at $100 and it's sigma is $10, you might want to sell the $110 and or $90 strike prices. For the strangle seller, this information could be important as if the stock hits one of these strike prices, unless it's a stock specific event that you feel the move is warranted, you might just want to hang on until expiration. If the movement is outside the one sigma due to a non-even, just part of the random walk in the park movement, then don't take a loss by buying what will now be an ATM option to close it out.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jason, I will check it out tonight. I recenly ordered the following: Option Volatility & Pric​ing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques by Sheldon Natenberg. Which is basically all prob/stat driven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bull fucking shit, I can't believe this. I just purchased that two days ago for the second time. I bought that back in 2000 when I sold my first covered call, but at the time the material was over my head and I had no interest in it. I either gave that book away or loaned it out because when I went to look for it last week I couldn't find it.

    I emailed a few of the presenters at that CBOE webinar and two of them recommended to read that before you pay for anybody offering educational courses on intermediate trading. I also purchased some other books based on email conversations with these guys. I got "Volatility Trading" by Euan Sinclair, "Trading Options Greeks" by Dan Passarelli, and "Options As A Strategic Invesment" by Larry McMillan. I'm glad we'll be reading the same book so we can bounce ideas off each other. I was planning on reading these first before I mentioned them to you guys because I don't know what to expect from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan on starting it this weekend. I am in the middle of finishing a book this week.

    ReplyDelete