Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Looking at CSCO

CSCO has earnings coming up on 2/4/10. They have a history of running up into earnings and selling off after the release. I am looking at the APR $25/$23 risk reversal, buying 10 $25 calls and selling 10 $23 puts. I like the short $23 puts as this is a level of support on the daily chart. Based on past movements it could get to $26 before earnings.

Update with full analysis will come if I actually put on the position.

UPDATE:

So I ended up putting on a ratio trade. What I decided to do was Sell 5 July '10 $23 puts for $1.21 and buy 10 Feb '10 $25 calls. As I mentioned above I like the $23 puts as they offer a defined level of support on the daily chart:



Then in the next chart, I have plotted a 2 year weekly chart, as this is how far I needed to go back in order to find the next price target levels. I am looking for the first target of $25.5 and then $27 from there. I am banking on the hope that CSCO will act as it has historically trading up 2-3 points into their earnings release and then selling off.



I only plan to hold the Calls until the week of earnings. After which time I will re-evaluate my stance on the position and decide if I want to continue holding the Puts until expiration to possibly expire worthless, which currently have about a 70% chance according to the options market (not shown).

Below I have posted probability of CSCO touching certian prices by the day before earnings. I am obviously betting agianst the probabilities. I am making the bet that they are much higher and theirfore making this position more desirable. Take not of "Live" price slice of $24.16 or where CSCO is currently trading. If CSCO does nothing between now and the day before earnings my maximum risk based on the option pricing model is about $100. And you can take a look at where the P&L will be at various other prices that I have plotted.

5 comments:

  1. CSCO makes 52wk high and I am watching it for a move to $25.5 where I will take most of the trade off. I plan to try and keep 1 or 2 contracts on just to see, as my second target was up to $27.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New stop out below the 52 week high of 24.90. Currently at $24.96

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because of INTC's earnings announcment after the bell today, I am planning to close out 8 of the calls and all of the short puts. If news is dissapointing and causes a sell off in CSCO will look to re-establish some calls ahead of CSCO earnings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the two call contracts that I keep on I think I will turn them into a vertical call spread by selling the $26 calls which are going for $0.35. This would only leave $32 on the table with a potential of another $168 gain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watched CSCO on the tape for a bit. Found some resistance at 24.08. So I went ahead and booked my profits of $351. I ended up taking everything off. I just can't get myself to leave some on the table. By I will watch this name tomorrow to see how it reacts to INTC earnings after the bell today.

    ReplyDelete