Sunday, January 10, 2010

TRN: Rail about to rocket?

Here's another short squeeze candidate I'm looking at. The transports have been performing well especially with more people beginning to believe in a economic recovery. I've traded TRN last year and it really hasn't been a money maker but I think this may be an opportunity to catch some shorts getting caught. According to short squeeze it has over 14% short interest.

I'll buy a small stock position just to keep an eye on it and look at selling 4 Apr $20 puts for around $2.5 each.

Here's my game plan:

- Stop loss around $17.80 for a total loss of $86 (assuming 60 days left to expiration)
- Target price of $20 for a theoretical total max profit of $440 (assuming 60 days left to expiration)

P&L Calculator:



Probabilities aren't really showing me much but I really don't know how reliable this tool is:



Shortsqueeze.com:



Chart showing sideways consolidation in a uptrend:

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah they announce earnings on 2/18. I don't think I'd be holding over earnings simply because for the past year or so earnings have disappointed the Street and the stock has generally sold off.

    ReplyDelete